This is a seriously yummy dish. I'm a big fan of roasted vegetables because it causes the sugars to caramelize. Tossed with pasta, half-and-half and cheese, this dish is amazing!
butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into bite-size chunks
large onion, peeled and cut into chunks
2 big handfuls of bitter greens washed, dried and torn into small pieces
1/3 cup tight-packed cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
16 large fresh sage leaves, torn into pieces
5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 tight-packed T brown sugar
salt and pepper
pasta and finish
lb bow-tie pasta
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese
1. Slip large shallow sheet pan into oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Bring large pan of water to boil for pasta.
3. In large bowl toss all ingredients for roasted vegetables together. Be generous with salt and pepper.
4. Turn vegetable blend onto preheated sheet pan, and spread out. Roast for 25 minutes until squash is tender, turning the vegetables two or three times during roasted.
5. While vegetables roast, drop pasta into boiling water and cook until tender. Drain and put back into pan with a little olive oil and salt.
6. Once the squash is tender, turn on broiler to caramelize it. Watch the vegetables closely, turning the pieces often. Anticipate about five minutes under the broiler. You want crusty brown edges on the squash and wilted, almost crisp greens.
7. Scrape everything into a serving bowl. Add the half-and-half, hot pasta, and cheese. Toss well, adding salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.