Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rosti Potatoes

I first had these had a Swiss-owned restaurant in Uganda, East Africa. I'm a HUGE fan of potatoes in all their glorious culinary forms, but that first helping of rosti potatoes almost pushed me over the edge. Talk about utter deliciousness! I tried to recreate it at home with no success. It wasn't until some years later that I had the brilliant (?) idea to look for the recipe online. DUH!

This is one of those recipes you have to plan ahead, because the potatoes have to be boiled the day before, and chilled overnight. But aside from that, this is a super easy recipe.

INGREDIENTS
2 lb. potatoes
3 T. butter
1 t. salt
2 T. milk

DIRECTIONS
Boil whole potatoes day before.
Cool to room temperature, then put in fridge to chill overnight.
Peel and grate potatoes.
Heat butter in skillet (I prefer a cast iron skillet).
Add potatoes, sprinkle with salt, press flat with spatula.
Sprinkle with milk and cover tightly.
Reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes.

No comments: